I'd have a parasocial relationship with a hot poet too

Luiselli’s novel navigates the trials and tribulations of keeping her creativity alive while performing her motherly duties. She also explores just how blurred the lines between reality and imagination can become when one becomes obsessed with their means of escapism, which in her case is the poet Gilberto Owen. Through her movement through different liminal spaces and the switch between first-person narration, we see how the obsession consumes her. Her navigation of these spaces causes the reader a sort of confusion at first wondering what is real and what is imagined. I found this a tad bit hard to follow but found that it only added to the narrative of losing yourself in escape. Her fixation on Gilberto points to how we can form these fixed ideas of people who we don’t even know. The mother fabricates this image of him in her head, creating these encounters that never really happened. This reminded me of the parasocial relationships that people tend to form with celebrities. I mean I guess if a person's work speaks to you or that much or you find it really helped you through a hard time, it can be easy to form this kind of relationship. 

Her novel felt like such a raw punch to the gut in regards to many mothers who have had to put their dreams aside to raise a child, including my mother. The representation of this strain in the form of short bursts of writing as if she was struggling to get it all out in each breath, made me too feel as if I was out of breath, reading her words in a frenzy. “Novels need a sustained breath.That’s what novelists want. No one knows exactly what it means but they all say: a sustained breath. I have a baby and a boy. They don’t let me breathe. Everything I write is—has to be—in short bursts. I’m short of breath.” (Luiselli 4). 

This was definitely a more difficult storyline to follow but I really enjoyed that. I like how this novel sort of made my head spin. It felt as if we were able to enter the mothers mind and see the world how she did. We all see the world through our own experiences, and this novel also makes you add in your own interpretations based on your experience with the text. 


"No, Mama, it’s flies. And mosquitos. During the day, they hide inside the shower and at night they bite us." (Luiselli 145). I found this quote at the end to be especially troubling. It felt as if he was referring to the the bugs as the things that haunt us at night, nipping at you. They hide during the day when things are busy but at night in the dark and silence they come out.


Also I don't usually add in song recs to go along with the novel but as I was shuffling through my spotify playlists I came across this song that felt a lot like what reading this novel felt like ↓

https://open.spotify.com/track/5UJD2UkKSsRYeyii3MdRhp?si=8a7ea737da59453b 


My question for you: Do you think parasocial relationships are always unhealthy? I think her relationship with with Gilberto was unhealthy as it blurred her lines between reality and imagined scenarios but what about less severe parasocial relationships, are they just as bad?


Comments

  1. Hi Lauren! I enjoyed reading your thoughts this week. I feel inclined to tell you that the song you linked is actually a cover (as much as a song with no lyrics can have a cover) of another called A Quick One Before the Eternal Worm Devours Connecticut. You might already know this, but I thought I'd share since I feel like the original matches the vibe of the book even more. I'll leave a link at the end. As for your question, I'm a big pop culture fan and I thoroughly believe all parasocial relationships are unhealthy. They can really go as far as destroying your life, which I would argue happened to our nameless protagonist in this book. Thanks for this!

    B.B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot the link!! https://open.spotify.com/track/34dkZZNQJzEJRqPkywYmEY?si=daa355d98cde4aa7

      Delete
  2. Lauren, you’re right in saying that this novel explores “just how blurred the lines between reality and imagination can become,” although I am not quite sure that escapism is the word I’d chose to finish that sentence! I really liked that you point out the presence of liminal spaces in the narratives. Makes me think of the ghosts, the subway, the pre-publishing space - even maybe the NYC apartment? The narrative itself? Maybe even motherhood since, like you mentioned, she leaves her dreams to are for her kids until they grow and she can be her again. 

    Thanks for your comment!
    - Tesi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren, I like your interpretation of the narrator’s fixation on Owen as a parasocial relationship. She even goes as far as imagining seeing him in real life like how some people who are deeply obsessed with a celebrity start going a little crazy. As for your question, I think parasocial relationships can be healthy as long as you have the capacity to be critical of the person instead of always blindly defending them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Give My Girl a BREAAAAKKK: Rodoreda

To Dust We Return: Bombal's "The Shrouded Woman"