RMST 202 Intro Post

 Hey everyone! 

My name is Lauren and I'm a second year student in psychology but currently debating on switching to sociology. I'm from Chilliwack, B.C. I love to ski, go to concerts, and hike. I am currently reading A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihra, although I am struggling to make my way through it. I always thought reading was such an annoying task all throughout high school, but every time I read the assigned novels, I realized I actually liked reading! I think I just hated being told to read, I wanted to do it on my own. But the structure of having something due helped me so much in actually sticking to a book. Now, in my adulthood, I tend to jump around from novel to novel never finishing any of them. I think the structure of this class will help with this problem and I am looking forward to immersing myself in new novels. I am excited to draw on similarities and differences between these texts and how that reflects on where they come from. I hope to further sharpen my literacy skills through reading and analyzing these novels, tying them into life experiences. 

In the first lecture video the question; "Where is the Romance World?" as I had initially responded with art, or language, or poetry but all of these things do not come from one place just as the Romance World is not from one place. It is something that is created. In the discussion video: "On Romance Studies" I found myself being drawn to the idea that language can shape the way a person behaves and their thoughts. I also found the idea that a sense of identity can be found within language. This can be seen today with certain places slang words or dialects from different parts of the same country. Your dialect can tell a bit about you and where you are from. It is almost as if language can tell a story. Tim had talked about romance studies being so exciting in the sense that "it can tell us something about what happens when power is disrupted..." Stories can tell the reader so much about what was going on in that point of time like what was happening socially and politically. 

After watching this discussion and intro lecture I really look forward to our conversations in this class and expanding my reading pallet! 

My question for the class is: In what way can the language you speak describe you? Or what can it say about your culture? 

Lauren Waring 

Comments

  1. I was very interested in your blog post and the idea of the "reading palette". I think that as readers we go through several stages, and currently I am a somewhat chaotic reader who starts a book, leaves it, and picks it up again when he already tells me something. The best thing about this class is that we can experiment with our ways of approaching literature. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'd have a parasocial relationship with a hot poet too

Give My Girl a BREAAAAKKK: Rodoreda

To Dust We Return: Bombal's "The Shrouded Woman"